Total Pageviews

Pages

Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly, and The Interesting

The Good: I HAVE A JOB!! I HAVE A JOB!!!! Last week I took a moto all over town and dropped off resumes at many different schools. I still haven't heard back from a lot of them, but PUC (Panasatra University of Cambodia) called me back today and offered me 22.5 hours per week (which is pretty much full time in Cambodia). I'm psyched because it is probably the best school I could've gotten a job at... It's a language school, and pretty professional. Most of the LanguageCorps instructors also teach a few classes at this school. The students are mostly adults, and are pretty motivated to learn since they pay their own money to come to class. I'll find out tomorrow more specific information - like what level, what times of the day, stuff like that. But for now, I'm just content knowing that I'll be getting a paycheck every week!

Other good: I bought a bicylce, so I can cruise around town. Also, our apartment is pretty sweet... a great location for us to visit with all of our friends, and Val and Shiloh are fantastic roommates.

The Bad: My bike is already broken... That's Cambodia for you. The first day I got it, I rode it out to see Shiloh and her school (about a 30 minute trip), and on the way back the seat broke off. Well, more like bent. It appears the seat is made out of springs... very weak springs. Luckily the kindness of Khmer people showed itself, and a few old guys working in a car parts shop came out and fixed it for me free of charge. Well, not exactly fixed it, but made it possible to ride home. It's still not fixed, and actually is quite uncomfortable to ride, so hopefully tomorrow I'll get that taken care of.

More bad... our house has been invaded by ants. No matter what we do, they return. We even put all of our food in the fride, take our trash our every night, and they find a way. We like to joke that our hygene standards have been significantly lowered since moving to Cambodia.

The Ugly: I got sick this weekend. Utterly and horribly ill... the worst type of sickness you could imagine. On saturday I could barely open my eyes, and today (monday) I still feel quite fatigued. That 3rd world food isn't so wonderful sometimes. Luckily, I brought plenty of antibiotics with me, and 5 day dosage should make me new.

The Interesting: Friday night, Val, Shiloh and I spent the night on the town, and met some friends at a bar around the corner from our house. The occasion? A drag show. The most elaborate costumes i've ever seen on a man (or a woman). Glitzy dresses, fancy makeup, big wigs. They danced on the bar and sang songs like whitney houston and mariah carey. There were solos, duets, role plays... needless to say, it was quite an experience.

3 comments:

  1. Great news about the job. Congratulations! Sorry to hear you're sick -- try and stay hydrated :) Ahhh...the nuisances of apt renting. At least it's not vermin or roaches. Here are a few home remedies you could try: sprinkle talcum powder or baking soda; spray with equal parts vinegar & water; layout bounce fabric sheets; draw a chalk line - apparently ants won't cross a chalk line; mint tea bag - they don't like mint. Or you could all dress up like drag queens and scare them away......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan! I'm glad there is good and interesting with the bad and ugly. Grandma says cornmeal is the way to go with ants. Not sure why. They take it back to their nest and they die. Worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susan,

    I love to read about all your experiences, the good and the bad!! So much of it sounds really beautiful. sun, warm beaches? I can hardly remember as I look out on yet another snowstorm!! so when you're hot think of our 5 ft. of snow!! I told Katie you were gong to Mumbai and Nepal. she's very jealous of Nepal. Next semester Katie is going to Australia and Sarah is already planning her visit. I hope that Dave and I can also go. Congrats on your job! Hope your bike works out! We miss you! Love, Jane

    ReplyDelete