Total Pageviews

Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Quirky Cambodia

Sometimes it feels we're living not only in a different country, but a different era. Everything feels like its 30 years behind the times, which can be quite frustrating. For example, the internet? sucks. If you've noticed, I havent uploaded many pictures. It takes FOREVER. And surfing the web? painfully slow. It's quite frustrating, but I have to remind myself that I'm in a third world country and I can't expect the comforts of home.

Some other Cambodian Odities:
- They have their own monetary system here, which is called Riels. It's about 4000 Riels to 1 dollar. HOWEVER, every person and store in Pnom Penh not only takes dollars, but has change for dollars. When I go to an ATM, i pull out dollars. I tell my tuktuk driver I will pay him 3$ (Not 12000 reil, but 3$)
- The city (like many SE Asian cities) is swarming with dogs. I used to be a dog lover, but now I can hear dogs barking at 6 am, and see mangy dogs digging through trash in the street. They seem to belong to no one, and I definitely have no urge whatsoever to pet them.
- I can't get over how friendly people are. Even if theyre begging you for money, and you say no, they still smile at you. Or if they ask you if you want a tuktuk ride and you say no, they'll still give you directions to where you're going. People are so overwhelmingly friendly, its made me more friendly. I love exchanging smiles with Cambodians. (It's pretty easy to do too, because as a white person it feels like you are ALWAYS being stared at.)
- I've seen more naked kids than I've ever thought was possible. I'd say I see on average 7 naked children every day. On top of that, at least 2 or 3 times a day, I see men peeing in the street.
- Maybe they pee in the streets, because even if youre using a public bathroom, theres no toilet paper anyway. There are hoses to rinse off with (which is weird) but never toilet paper.
- Locally grown fruits and vegetables are cheap cheap cheap (we're talking 50 cents...), whereas processed, mainstream food we typically eat at home is RIDICULOUSLY expensive. M&Ms = 5.00. Pringles = 4.50, etc etc. At least we're eating well.
- Also, there seems to be no such thing as credit cards. There are a few ATMs scattered randomly throughout, but if you don't have cash on you... you're screwed.
- I feel like every day I'm doing a double take... an old lady carrying a basket of fruit on her head. An old man pushing a cart full of loaves of bread. Kids walking naked in the streets by themselves (WHERE ARE THEIR PARENTS!??!).

Life is strange here but its never boring!!

No comments:

Post a Comment